Monday, July 14, 2008

Safari weekend

Well, I had a most wonderful weekend on the safari in Masai Mara. The weather could not have been more beautiful, with cool evenings that made you want to cuddle under a blanket and warm days that left your cheeks sun-kissed and your heart in a flutter. The animals were majestic; there is no other word to describe them. I saw lions, including lion cubs, three of them, just sitting by the road. The momma lions had evidently just feasted on some of the migrating wildebeests, as they were basking in the sun without a care in the world. Guess that's an advantage of being on the top of the food chain... I saw a lone cheetah, just stunning, sitting with its face in the sunlight. I saw many families of elephants, with babies and adolescents. I saw warthogs and hyenas, as well as prairie dogs. I saw impala and gazelle, zebra, ostrich, buffalo, hippos, a crocodile. I saw antelope and more wildebeests than I thought possible migrating across the savanna. I saw the most gorgeous sunset and let my face take in the beauty of it all. I saw baboons. I think that may be all, but I am probably forgetting something. In all, I took about 250 pictures, and then we combined everyone's pictures together, so that I have over 1100 pictures of the weekend. So I will be able to choose the very best ones to upload onto my blog once I get home. The pictures are wonderful but already fail to do justice to the majesty that I saw. You see the pictures and you think - wow, that's nice. Sure looks like they had a good time. Because you can't imagine it unless you have been there yourself. The pictures look a dime a dozen, unless they are your pictures because you saw those animals live and in person. Nevertheless, I will upload some pictures when I get home.

I can't say enough about how wonderful our trip was this weekend. I really got to know the people on the trip with me, and I will remember them for a lifetime for the great time we all had, laughing and joking and experiencing God's glorious creation together. While we were on this safari, so many songs came to mind... That one from NewsBoys, about all God's children singing glory glory, hallelujah He reigns. And the part about the worship rising from the African plain. Yeah, I was there, watching the worship rise to the King. And when I saw the lions, I thought of the song- Hail Hail Lion of Judah, how wonderful you are! How powerful you are! Then I thought of the passion song - salvation spring up from the ground. Lord, rend the heavens and come down. Seek the lost and heal the lame. Jesus being glory to your name! Then I thought of some scripture as well, thinking of the majesty of God, and how creation is an expression of how glorious our God really is. I thought of Psalm 145:

Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise;
his greatness no one can fathom.
One generation will commend your works to one another;
they will tell of your mighty acts.
They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty,
and I will meditate on your wonderful works.
They will tell of the power of your awesome works,
and I will proclaim your great deeds.
They will celebrate your abundant goodness
and joyfully sing of your righteousness.
The Lord is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and rich in love.
The Lord is good to all;
he has compassion on all he has made.
All you have made will praise you, O Lord;
your saints will extol you.

Anyway, it is too long to put all right here, but you should check it out if you get a chance. I was thinking about it while we were on safari. Or better said, the Shane and Shane song called Psalm 145 was stuck in my head. I don't really know that whole thing. Don't think more of me than you ought...

Anyway, I was overwhelmed by the amazing sights of the weekend, and walked away wanting to go back, just to feel the safari sun on my face and the smell the scents of those animals.

Today back at the hospital was great as well. I am taking more responsibility for our service, and getting more opportunities in the OR. Today I got to open an abdomen and close it, too. And I got to do an external ventricular drain, which is neurosurgery. And I got to do a circumcision. It was awesome. Well, not the circumcision, but the whole experience. They are teaching me a lifetime of knowledge and skill, a foundation for a lifetime. It is amazing.

Today I realized that I leave a week from tomorrow. A fact that made me VERY sad. I can't believe my trip is almost over. On some level I feel like it has barely begun, though on other levels I feel like I have been here for a LONG time. Strange how we want what is on the other side and then realize as this side is ending how much it is going to be difficult to leave the side that you tried not to love the whole time. I really have fallen in love with this place, despite the downsides. I have fallen in love with the Kenyan people, the Swahili language, the whole thing. I can't imagine not being able to talk to my friends in my very broken Swahili and then have us all laugh at my terrible rendition of their beautiful language. And I can't imagine not being able to see everyone's smile every morning. It has been a life changing adventure, one that I know will continue throughout my life. This has been a tremendous adventure - the best word to call it. I came out here alone, knowing one person in this whole place, and only having met him once and exchanged a few e-mails in preparation. I came out here in response to a call, and that call has been confirmed and encouraged a thousand-fold.

Sorry for being so nostalgic. You may have quit reading by now... That's OK. I just want to remember this when I get home. And I want you to know how profoundly this place has impacted me.

I will go now. I am getting tired, and I need to get some rest. Plus I want to do some reading before bed. Thanks for checking in on me. Talk to you again soon!
Jill

1 comment:

Pamela Kuhl said...

Jillian,
We have found a wifi next to the church and your dad and I are reading your blog.
We are having a wonderful time here but miss you.
We have decided we are definately going to Kenya next year. It would be awesome for us all.
There is a plastic surgeon's wife who is our friend and translator and I know he would be interested in woking in Kijabe too.
Love to you.
Pam and Bob